Outbound From Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport T2: Few Basics
I was over the moon….after all it was my first international trip! I was flying to New York from CSIA’s T2, Mumbai and the excitement was palpable no matter how hard I tried to keep a lid on it!
I was supposed to rest since the flight to Newark was at 2 am but sleep had long abandoned me! So, I reached the airport much ahead of the departure schedule to avoid last-minute rush and also usually the counters of all airlines open four hours prior to the scheduled time of departure of the flight.
And adhering to basic ground rules helps when travelling abroad. Here are a few that I know of:
Basic Ground rules:
- Keep IDs, Visa, Passports and medical details handy.
- The usual cabin baggage allowed is 7 kg but may vary with airline. The laptop and camera is allowed besides cabin baggage. The allowed checked-in baggage varies from 15 kg to maximum 30 kg.
- Guide and service dogs are permitted at the airport but keeping a doctor’s certificate for the same is recommended.
- Use TSA approved locks for the bags as it allows the bags to be checked in absence of the passenger. TSA approved locks can be re-locked and prevent damage to the bags.
- Indians traveling abroad can take foreign currency up-to any amount if it is purchased from an authorized foreign exchange dealer as per norms. However Indian currency notes only up-to 7500Rs per person can be taken out or brought back. Coins are prohibited.
At T2 Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport:
- If you are travelling with precious jewellery from Mumbai, you need to submit a certificate issued by Precious Cargo Customs Clearance Centre to Customs while departing from Mumbai.
- E-Visa facility is available at Mumbai airport.
- Almost all international airlines Air China, Singapore Airlines, British airways etc operate from T2.
We traveled from Jodhpur to Mumbai a day before our flight to New York. Travelers from outside Mumbai can easily stay in hotels like Hyatt regency, Hilton, JW Mariott close to the airport and avail the airport-drop facility to catch an early morning flight without any hassle.
Are you ready for your first international flight yet?